- In Australia there are eight independent Legal Aid Commissions, one in each of the States and Territories of Australia.
- The Directors of the commissions combine at a national level and one of their number is, on an annual rotation basis, elected as Chair.
The Commissions are funded from 3 sources:
- Commonwealth Government ($128.5 million);
- State and Territory Governments ($147.8 million); and
- Interest, contributions and fees ($18.3 million)
- They provide services to 3/4 million Australians a year including:
- Number of people advised 2012-2013 year 238,191;
- Total number of duty lawyer services 2012-2013 year 232,704; and
- Total number of people represented in courts/tribunals 2012-2013 year 153,678